Sunday, June 11, 2006

Pride and Elevators

When I stopped by the library to drop off some books Saturday, I noticed they had a big sign outside that said, "Book Sale Downstairs." So I walked through the main foyer over to the open elevator door and breezed in, barely glancing at a sign taped outside of the door.

I settled in and pressed the button for the Basement. Nothing happened. I pressed Basement again...and again, nothing happened. I could feel my face growing red as a few people watched me from the other side of the library. With my dignity on the line, I made a command decision. I pressed the "Close Door" button and figured if it wasn't going to really take me down I could at least hole up for a minute, then hit the "Open Door" button and walk out as I pleased, allowing people to think I'd gone down but returned when I hadn't found what I was looking for.

This seemed brilliant until the doors actually closed and I suddenly remembered the sign outside of the elevator. I had a vague recollection of the words "Don't use" and "Elevator" but damned if I could remember the rest. I closed my eyes and banged my head against the wall. Fuck. What if I'm stuck in this god forsaken box simply because of my pride?

I briefly imagined the beating my dignity was going to take when my rescue by the fire department was broadcast on the five o'clock news. I can just hear the television reporters now, "Ms. Rice, exactly how was it that you came to be stuck in the elevator? Wasn't there a clearly posted sign that read 'Do not use elevator'? Can you read Ms. Rice or were you here for their Adult Literacy Program?"

As a last ditch effort to save what was left of my dignity, I said a quick prayer and once again pressed Basement. It wasn't until the elevator actually dinged and lurched downwards that I realized that I had been holding my breath. Within seconds the car came to a stop and hesitantly opened its doors to reveal the Basement floor. I bolted out of the car and made a mad dash back up through the stairwell. I would be damned if I was getting on that elevator again. I paused outside of the exit and collected myself, then ever so cooly, I walked through the door and past the elevators, allowing myself a good look at the sign which actually read, "Do not use elevators in the event of a fire."

29 Comments:

Blogger Autumn Storm said...

LMAO! Linny, thank you sweetie, I'm in a fit of absolute giggles here :-D Most excellent post. Happy Sunday to you, xo

6/11/2006 4:01 PM  
Blogger FU said...

HAHAHHAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that was farking funny!!!!

u are a nut.. like me!

have a great weeekend :)

6/11/2006 4:29 PM  
Blogger TrĂ©e said...

Well what about the books? Did you buy any books?

6/11/2006 6:48 PM  
Blogger berly02 said...

lol!!!
That was so scary. I held my breath for you.

6/11/2006 7:14 PM  
Blogger Courtney O. said...

Linny - I believe you to be my twin, separated from me at birth :)
You make me laugh, girl

6/11/2006 9:15 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

:}

Good One

6/11/2006 10:09 PM  
Blogger Maja said...

Hahaha, that's brilliant :)

6/11/2006 11:05 PM  
Blogger JM said...

Thanks for the laugh!!!

6/12/2006 12:19 AM  
Blogger Dzeni said...

Great story! I love the way you wrote it :)

6/12/2006 1:11 AM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

I love this. You get in the most unique and weird situations. Fantastic. Please don't change, I'd laugh less.

6/12/2006 3:27 AM  
Blogger Px said...

surely...if you were on the ground floor and the booksale was downstairs wouldn't you need ot press basement? sorry that confused me for a minute or two
glad you're back to your old self though with the humour and stuff
you'd better not be like that over here...people will point and laugh at you

6/12/2006 5:14 AM  
Blogger Px said...

ok...not people...
I will point and laugh at you

6/12/2006 5:15 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

lol...I'm too prideful for my own good. Wait til I write about what happened to me at the store later that day. It was not a good day.
:o(

PX...the stupid elevator only had two options, 1st floor and 2nd floor. No basement was provided.

6/12/2006 6:16 AM  
Blogger mistyblue3 said...

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!! That was too funny! hahahahahaha. Good stuff. I needed a chuckle this morning. Thanks for that. I have some how developed a fear of elevators lately. I'm always concerned that I'm going to get stuck in one. I never used to have that. My mom has that same fear. I wonder if all of her nonsense fears will be passed on to me. I certaninly hope not! Have a good day Linny!

6/12/2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Whats an extra few minutes in an elevator to save your pride?? Luckily if really had been broken and you were stuck they would have called the fire department. No one laughs when a fireman has to rescue you. Its a good way to meet firemen!

6/12/2006 1:19 PM  
Blogger NotCarrie said...

Ha what a great story...glad you didn't get into a broken elevator!

6/12/2006 3:13 PM  
Blogger V H said...

Ha, what an adventure!
But do you really imagine things like that, being on the news?

6/12/2006 4:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you Lindsey- Good Lord that is hysterical! tears are falling.

Cate

6/12/2006 7:01 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Too funny how we scare ourselves silly... and quite brave of you to repeat the story to us. I would have done something like that :-)

6/12/2006 7:43 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

LMAO!!!! That was brilliant!!

6/12/2006 9:52 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

That would totally happen to me. But, I admit I am laughing just a little.

6/12/2006 11:28 PM  
Blogger Sass said...

Totally a good blonde moment.

6/12/2006 11:31 PM  
Blogger Andres said...

sigh.

i don't even know how to respond.

6/12/2006 11:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Good thing there wasn't a fire...is all I'm sayin'.

My sister got caught in an elevator for 3 hours by herself in college. For the rest of the school year, everyone in her dorm referred to her as Baby Jessica.

At least it wasn't a well.

6/13/2006 12:27 AM  
Blogger Josh said...

HAHAHA Glad you lived through it.

6/13/2006 12:42 AM  
Blogger Princess Pessimism said...

Ahhhh....why wouldnt it work?

you're funny

6/13/2006 2:16 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I have no idea what was wrong with the stupid thing. But I'll never use it again!

6/13/2006 4:12 PM  
Blogger brighteyed23 said...

haha Oh my this sounds like something I would do !!! Thank you for the giggle sorry it was at the price of a small panic attack. :-)

6/14/2006 1:52 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

lol...thats funny stuff

6/15/2006 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?