Sunday, February 12, 2006

Break Out the Hoses

Just recently, I began to notice that I have developed a 'not so innocent' attraction to firemen. I'm not sure if it's the broad shoulders, the blue shirts or the fact that they run into burning buildings to save people's lives.

I think it's safe to say that dating a fireman has long been a fantasy for many women...I just joined the party a little late. For the most part, I think women like the idea of having a strong, courageous man around. A man that is ready, able and willing to protect her should the need arise. Let me tell you...that is very sexy.

It is my good fortune that one of our patients just so happens to be a very tall, broad shouldered, dark haired and exceptionally good looking fireman that happened to come in for an appointment last week. Unfortunately, I didn't see him until the end of his visit when he came to check out but my heart still did a little tap dance.

As we were trying to schedule his follow up appointment he vetoed a couple of dates, citing that he would be 'at the station.' I feigned surprise, "Oh that's right. You're a fireman aren't you?"

Lie Lie Lie Lie Lie. Of course I already KNEW he was a fireman but I couldn't let him know that I remembered him that well. However, I did take the time to engage him in chit chat by innocently asking him if he had a pole.

His cheeks turned a lovely shade of crimson. "Pardon?"

"At the firehouse. Do you guys have one of those poles that you slide down?" I have to admit, the fact that he was blushing made him even cuter.

He smiled almost shyly and explained that most of the firestations around here don't have them because the buildings are built 'out' not 'up.' I was quite disappointed to hear this bit of news and apparently I wore the disappointment plain on my face.

He smiled and said, "I tell you what. Maybe we'll just have to bring you down to the station and give you a ride on one of the trucks instead." I laughed and bid him a good afternoon, silently thinking that it wasn't his truck I wanted a ride on.

Alas...as is typical with my luck, I have recently discovered that he is a married man. Doesn't it just figure?

25 Comments:

Blogger Autumn Storm said...

Go down to the station for that firetruck ride - they can't all be married :-)
Good post, Linny, as always!

2/12/2006 3:51 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

i like them too..chris is going to try to become one. but he is not at all what you want or most women for theat matter. but i love him dearly, maybe he will get some meat on his bones..

great post...sorry he is married...does he have friends...

2/12/2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger JM said...

Nice way to ask about his man parts--"pole". That's classic.

2/12/2006 6:32 PM  
Blogger Drywall Mom said...

There's nothing wrong in you look just once at a nice man. Just ask if he has any single friends.

2/12/2006 7:00 PM  
Blogger Debbie Cakes said...

We've got a super cute EMS/firefighter that lives nextdoor....with his parents....and his fiance`, but I digress.

Girl, if you don't manipulate this man into asking you out, or just ask him out yourself, I think all us old married ladies (ahem, I may be the only one?) are going to die.
Take a chance! Do it and we can all live vicariously through you!

2/12/2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger Princess Pessimism said...

LINNY...LOL @ I laughed and bid him a good afternoon, silently thinking that it wasn't his truck I wanted a ride on....YOU Total slut! LOL!!!!!

I dont care about firemen....whatever. I know quite a few. a Good friend of mine is a cop and she dates a lot of firemen...the hottest one she dated? The one that ended up in one of those calendars....YUM.

2/12/2006 7:35 PM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

I also love firemen. I have a friend who is trying to be one, and he knows lots and lots of them :) I always make sure to go out when he brings them down.

I remember i was volunteering once and the fire alarm went off and down came the firefighters, none to impressed as it was a false alarm. However the most gorgeous, buff, blond haired man i had ever seen was standing right there. And i was dressed in what might be compared to sweatpants and no make-up *sigh*

I told the workers i was going to get all dolled up the next week and pull the alarm myself LOL

2/12/2006 7:49 PM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

Ah, poor darlin'. I admire your... umm... 'subtlety' regarding the pole. When you are at the station having that ride on the truck perhaps you can scope out his stationmates, see if he has any cute single firmen friends.

2/12/2006 10:01 PM  
Blogger Josh said...

I say saddle up for that ride and you could meet another more eligible fireman.

2/13/2006 2:29 AM  
Blogger Px said...

lol
i was going to make a comment about the length of his hose, but seeing as you asked him about his pole i think i'll just sit here and smirk!
anyway, you gonna give me a job?

2/13/2006 3:34 AM  
Blogger A. B. Chairiet said...

Mmmm...firemen.

If I were you, I'd go have a look at this truck. ;)

~ Ash

2/13/2006 5:14 AM  
Blogger Courtney O. said...

Bummer...
Firemen are hot - you're right.
I always had a thing for the military man. Camouflage - RARR! LOL

2/13/2006 8:08 AM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

Myself, only recently becoming a firefighter myself, will now shut my mouth before I get into any trouble...

2/13/2006 8:37 AM  
Blogger Buffy said...

Firemen are hot. It's just that simple.

2/13/2006 9:33 AM  
Blogger Will Shady said...

Ha ha. I can see you don't mess around when it comes down to a man in sight. Do what you gotta do. :)

2/13/2006 11:52 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

As much as I love looking at Firemen I don't think I could date one...the whole putting their life on the line everyday would kind of turn me into a basketcase waiting for "the call". So I will just have to do with lusting from afar.

2/13/2006 1:12 PM  
Blogger berly02 said...

That was some good flirting too.
Damn those married men!

2/13/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Start on the truck THEN go for the pole...all in good time!

2/13/2006 3:46 PM  
Blogger NotMiranda said...

That's awesome! Fireman are hott!

2/13/2006 4:00 PM  
Blogger Abigail S. said...

Oh how sad! He's married... too bad.

And yes, firefighters are VERY attractive! Mmmm!

2/13/2006 4:14 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Broad shoulders, blue shirts OR saving lives...I think it's all three. Mmm, I feel happy just thinking about it now.

2/13/2006 5:24 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

OMG this gave me a good chuckle girl. TOO FUNNY. Too bad you coudn't just mask his pretty little mouth and tell him that you only wanted a peak...:} hahahahah...naiive? or playing stupid? who knows.

2/14/2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger Agnes said...

Mmmm...firemen. And they have a good solid career. That'll do fine.

So will you be watching "Rescue" with me when the new season starts?
Dennis Leary always gets to me.

2/14/2006 8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There in lies a tale actually. They've gotten rid of most of the poles for efficiency's sake. They were also a bit dangerous, and only useful for the historic cramped 2 story urban firehouses, where they started as stables for the firehorses on the ground floor. They originally did not have room enough for inside stairs, so they had outside ones getting in, and the pole to get down to the working station floor. This also helped keep down the smells from the horses (& dogs) below the sleeping quarters.

Now most firehouses are single story, which is more efficient still, but they are larger, the garages are larger (the equipment is too). So sadly the old fir poles have gone out of favor. Also gone are the old telegraph system of corner fire alarms that would ring firebells automatically in the nearest station, indicating just where the fire was, and what might be it's size. (As in the fire went to 2 or 3 bells, calling in more crews & stations). I could go on, but there's plenty of history there. Cheers, 'VJ'

12/01/2006 5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » »

4/26/2007 2:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?