Friday, July 13, 2007

Hope

Love can be a fickle thing.

There are times when it nurtures you...makes you feel protected and indestructable.

Then there are the times when it beats you down. Throwing punch after punch until your legs give way, leaving your body crumpled on the cold, hard floor.

Sometimes, even when the bruises have long since faded...the mere memory of the hurt is enough to shy you away from letting yourself fall again. You build protective walls and wear armor over your heart. You become keenly aware of the labored beating beneath your chest as it strains against the bits of glue and tape holding it together.

Your soul focus becomes survival.

A friend recently said to me, "Lindsey, I just don't believe in the fantasy of true love anymore. It's an unattainable goal that builds you up...only to let you down. I just don't know that soulmates exist in reality."

I pondered that statement for awhile...I turned it over and over in my head until the complete and hopeless romantic in me took over. Yes, I've had my share of bitterness and anger. And yes, I've had to pick my broken body up off the floor and nurse wounds that I thought would never heal. But I have to believe that true love exists...I know it does...I've felt it. I know what it's like to meet your other half and finally feel whole. I know what it's like to have someone tell you that you are the one they were meant to spend the rest of their life with...that you were put here for them.

I know that we can't give up hope.

I know that every ounce of hope breathes life into this wounded little heart of mine and every day it beats just a little stronger.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo!
Lindsey may just mean "lucky in love" yet!

7/14/2007 3:20 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

*sigh* I understand. I completely empathize with what you are saying. And if the continuing similarities between our stories have not been enough for us already, let me tell you about how I got a tattoo in Mexico for my 30th birthday. It is in the shape of a heart and the design is titled "Hope".

I don't know about true love or soulmates or "forever", either. I believe that every single person comes into your life (and sometimes goes back out of it) for a reason.

It will be nice when that one comes in and actually stays, though. I guess that's hope.

7/14/2007 6:14 PM  
Blogger Professor Fate said...

Forever is a damn long time. I just try to keep my relationship alive "today".

7/14/2007 6:17 PM  
Blogger Courtney O. said...

You know, I wish you lived closer, because I would so hook you up with my brother! You'd be the best sister-in-law EVER!!

7/15/2007 8:37 PM  
Blogger SaffronSaris said...

I can't believe that a guy can have soooo much to get off his chest until I had a first-hand experience.
Throughout the dinner, my date was talking non-stop, about people mistaking his father's name for his, about collegues in his new company working slower than his previous, about ....well, guess I kinda switched off a bit.

And when he asked if I was going home after the dinner, I nodded very enthusiatically ;)

Boo! Didn't think I have ever been so quiet throughout a dinner, not for want of a conversational topic, but that I couldn't get a word in at all!

7/15/2007 8:44 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

hehe Saffy! :) I hv known guys like that too.

Linny I agree with ur friends...it always seems like Im the only one who's loving o so 'truly' DUHHHHHHHHH!

Keshi.

7/15/2007 8:52 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

but yeah...never give up on HOPE.

Keshi.

7/15/2007 8:53 PM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

I gave up a long time ago...I don't believe it exists.

7/16/2007 10:17 AM  
Blogger SaffronSaris said...

To dear Lindsey:
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday....to Lindsey
Happy Birhtday to YOU!!!!!

And I understand you'd be getting a very nice big prezzie this year ;)

7/16/2007 8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?