Thursday, September 07, 2006

Twilight Zone

Imagine a noisy, crowded Irish Pub. I'm flirting with a cute boy...enjoying the atmosphere. Then music starts to play over the speakers and I suddenly find myself frozen in place..."Wait a minute. Are they playing....????"

"Blame it on my roots, I showed up in boots, and ruined your black tie affair..."

A glance around the room revealed men, eyes half closed...crooning into their beers. "And I saw the surprise, and the fear in his eyes, when I took his glass of champagne, and I toasted you, said honey we may be through, but you'll-never-hear-me-complaaaiiiiinnnnn..."

The bar suddenly erupted into cheers and fists pounding on the bar. "Cause I've got friends in low places, where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away, And I'll be okay..."

I stared wide eyed as my Irishman grabbed my waist and drawled, "I'm not big on social graces, think I'll skip on down to the Oasis, oh I've got friends in low places."

The initial shock I suffered at the sight of a bar full of Irishmen singing Garth Brooks, eventually wore off and I joined in as they chanted, "You gotta now when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run..."

A few Red Bulls and Vodka later I found myself forming a chorus line with another American and some locals...all of us singing at the top of our lungs. "Start spreading the news." Kick turn kick.

"I'm leavin' today." Kick turn kick. "I want to be a part of it. New York New York." Knock back a drink. "...I'll make a brand new start of it, New York New York." Pull Irishman's hand off my ass.

"If I can make it there, I'll make it anywhere. It's up to you" kick
"New" kick
"York" kick
"New" kick,
"Yooooorrrrrrrkkkkkk." kick turn kick.

32 Comments:

Blogger DZER said...

sounds like a fun time ... no Irish tunes? No U2? LOL

9/07/2006 8:39 PM  
Blogger Stealth said...

wow, I have never heard anything like this, however, I loved the story...love the log, I will have to come back and visit more often!!

9/07/2006 8:49 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

Garth with a twist... ha ha country is country whereever it is... Did you go to Dublin? There are a million pubs there, but I never made it into a country style place :-D

9/07/2006 8:55 PM  
Blogger Princess Pessimism said...

YIKES...Garth brooks??? Ugh. Cant get away from that guy can you?

9/07/2006 10:34 PM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

LOL, i once sang that Garth song at Karaoke in New Brunswick, they dig that shit. I despise country music but have a soft spot in my heart for that song...shhh don't tell anyone.

9/07/2006 10:39 PM  
Blogger Outdoorsy Girl said...

Are you kidding me? Not what I would have expected in an Irish pub. lol!

9/07/2006 10:40 PM  
Blogger Courtney O. said...

You crack me up :)
And it's so funny - Americans hang at Irish pubs and the Irish are Garth wanna-be's...who knew?

9/07/2006 11:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. Thanks for the laugh. Its great to know that you had a good time while you were away.

9/08/2006 12:22 AM  
Blogger Keshi said...

LOL Linny u rock!

Keshi.

9/08/2006 12:34 AM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

I guess the Irish can be anything.

In the movie The Commitments the lead character, Jimmy Rabitte, said "The Irish are the blacks of Europe.", as a reason for assembling a Motown soul band in Dublin.

And now, they are the cowboys of Europe too!

I need to go to Ireland. I kept up when drinking with an actual Scots folk band a couple years back. I wondr if I could keep up with Irish, on their turf no less.

9/08/2006 1:36 AM  
Blogger Px said...

i thought what happened in dublin stayed in dublin...
well stayed there an extra night anyway :oP

9/08/2006 3:43 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

The embarrassing bits stay in Dublin. The entertaining bits go into the blog...

Watch out...I haven't even gotten to the UK stories yet.

9/08/2006 6:21 AM  
Blogger Px said...

why would i need to watch out, i was a perfect gentleman that you fell in love with :oP

9/08/2006 9:03 AM  
Blogger Chuckles said...

Well, the thing about that song is that Garth Brooks sucks, but everyone gets lucky once and writes a great song by which we get drunk and get over women.

9/08/2006 9:09 AM  
Blogger PAINKEY said...

thats funny, surprised it wasnt
"Bring me two Pina Coladas, gotta have one for each hand,..."
totaly forgot the rest of the song but its one of them BAR songs that when your drunk enough you just sing along with all the others...lol...I suppose its just because good ole drunk American music is hard to resist!!!

9/08/2006 2:17 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

That's terrific! Sounds like a blast! Enviously~M lol

9/08/2006 6:26 PM  
Blogger Princess Pessimism said...

FELL IN LOVE WITH??? Linny...in you description of your trip, that is something that you failed to mention. HAHAHA....

9/08/2006 7:22 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

I'm cracking up!

9/08/2006 7:52 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Did I forget to mention that?

Well...my memory isn't what it used to be... :o)

9/08/2006 8:05 PM  
Blogger Cressy said...

oh yes, my friend, those Irish LOVE our dear American country music. Love it. it's crazy.

9/08/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger Cressy said...

they also love our dear American asses... it's true. I feel like Marilyn Monroe in Ireland. :)

9/08/2006 8:22 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

That's sounds like every Thursday night I had in college.

9/09/2006 7:33 AM  
Blogger Innocent Bystander said...

The Irish are about 5 years behind Europe... they still wear denim jackets there. The Irish are just like the American midwesterners... so of course they like C&W. There may be an ocean in the way but they are just the same... like the forests of Brazil match those of Cameroon, Gabon and Western Africa.

UK on the other hand... but I'm biased. Looking forward to reading it... just please tell me you steered clear of the tourist places :-)

9/10/2006 6:54 AM  
Blogger Drywall Mom said...

If I remember, Garth is big over there. He actually did a fairly large concert that they aired over here nationally.

9/10/2006 12:34 PM  
Blogger teh l4m3 said...

Mmm... Irishmen.

9/10/2006 3:11 PM  
Blogger yrautca said...

That was a funny post.

9/10/2006 3:39 PM  
Blogger MIA said...

Were they doing the jig to Garth too. So funny! kinda like japanese kareoke to american songs.

9/10/2006 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL... Country is big in a lot of unexpected places. When we went to Mexico they loved country there too... *sigh* too bad! LOL

9/10/2006 9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last comment is from me... ~Lil Deb~ ...damn beta...

9/10/2006 9:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So when should we expect you?

9/11/2006 4:56 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

I've hear the Irish love Garth...it just sounds odd to me.

9/12/2006 12:02 AM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

AWESOME!!

9/19/2006 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?