Monday, November 20, 2006

Showing Support

I have adopted a soldier.

Actually, I've adopted two but I've yet to receive the second one's information, so I've only made contact with one.

I am such a sucker. When they told me how many soldiers there are that never get any sort of mail or packages from home...I nearly cried. So...I joined an organization and started adopting. Hell, if I can't have kids yet, I might as well have grown men...same difference. :o)

Below is part of the letter I sent to our local papers in hopes that they would print it and generate more volunteers. And although I shouldn't have to say this, I would just appreciate people refraining from turning this post into a political issue. That's not what this is about...it's about supporting our loved ones while they are away doing their jobs, whether they like it or not.

I am a member of Soldiers’ Angels, a non-profit organization dedicated to helping support our military overseas. Many of our soldiers are young, 18-20 year olds. Some are away from home for the first time and are lonely, scared and brave and others are completely alone with no family or friends to write them words of encouragement or care if they have socks to survive the cold winter nights. Through Soldiers’ Angels, volunteers are paired up with a soldier that they adopt. Our organization doesn’t ask for much, just a promise that you’ll write your soldier once a week and occasionally send them a care package from home.

Going into it, I had no idea what an impact I was making on soldier’s lives until I started getting letters from soldiers saying how excited they were just hearing their name announced at mail call and how much my words and encouragement meant to them. One soldier wrote, “I’m already smiling and I haven’t even read your letter yet.”

I feel that I owe these men and women more than putting a magnet on my car or flying a flag. For these reasons, I will continue to be a “Soldiers’ Angel” and I encourage anyone reading this, who shares these feelings to become an Angel as well. You can sign up at Soldiers' Angels

Sincerely,

Lindsey R.
Proud Angel to soldier Jason S.

30 Comments:

Blogger Professor Fate said...

Darlin', you are karmically due.

11/20/2006 9:12 PM  
Blogger yrautca said...

What if he requests a topless pic? You know they get pretty lonely out there.

11/20/2006 11:10 PM  
Blogger Sandra Dee said...

Aww! Good for you!

Maybe he's a hottie?

11/20/2006 11:17 PM  
Blogger yrautca said...

If they ever come out with a 'financial analysts' angels', i'd like for you to adopt me ;) i never get any mail from home ever.

11/20/2006 11:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is really cool. Good for you!

11/21/2006 2:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your efforts Lindsey, There's many of them out there. Some send along much needed toiletries & small items via a 'shoebox' kit. Many schools adopt units and write to them pen pal style. They're always thrilled to meet at the end of their tours. But it's always a nice giving gesture. And of course they'll ask for the topless photo eventually. Just substitute someone's granny, and they'll get the point. Cheers & Good Luck! 'VJ', ga.

11/21/2006 3:57 AM  
Blogger Chuckles said...

Are you sending him, ahem, photos?

11/21/2006 10:09 AM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

If i write to a solider will they send me a photo so i can choose a hot soldier to correspond with??? :)

11/21/2006 12:43 PM  
Blogger Sass said...

thanks for that link. I'm going to do my part.

11/21/2006 1:02 PM  
Blogger PAINKEY said...

you are such a sweet heart...

11/21/2006 1:17 PM  
Blogger mistyblue3 said...

What a good idea. I think I'll do it too! good way to meet hot men linny....

11/21/2006 2:08 PM  
Blogger Cari said...

what a great idea!
thanks for the info & link

11/21/2006 2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love this...good for you! I am going to check this out...thank you for posting. :-)

11/21/2006 4:16 PM  
Blogger Princess Pessimism said...

Only Yrautca would think of a comment like that.

But I digres..

This is awesome, and I hope your newspaper publishes your letter *or the couple that you sent it to*..we could all be a little more charitable...

Well..."we" meaning you all could be a little more charitable. I'm not referring to myself...or Phil. We're going to hell. He's my moving buddy.

11/21/2006 5:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, I wanna do it too!

11/21/2006 7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you Linny. Few know the price our soldiers pay.

11/21/2006 7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your inspiration has been passed on. Thanks, Lindsey.

11/21/2006 9:20 PM  
Blogger Courtney O. said...

Wow - that's really an amazing thing to do. I didn't even know there was such an organization. Props to you Linny - that's really cool...

11/21/2006 10:07 PM  
Blogger Outdoorsy Girl said...

Thank you for sharing this Linny. This is awesome. I am going to sign up, too. It breaks my heart to think that there are men and women out there without someone to support them.

Thanks again.

11/22/2006 10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linny, I'm rereading Blackhawk Down, which is an outstanding book by the way. Last night I came across a passage that talked about soldiers getting mail from women and how those that didn't wanted to read the letters from those that did. The implication was that a letter from a woman, known or unknown, was a tremendous morale booster. Again, I take my hat off to you. Keep those letters going. Besides, you have the gift for prose and I'm sure your letters will be shared and impact many. Happy Thanksgiving to you my friend.

11/22/2006 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I family does that too! I always send stuff over to the soldier!

11/22/2006 1:57 PM  
Blogger Autumn Storm said...

What a perfect thing for you to do, Lindsey, bless your kind and generous heart! That extract made me tear up (and I'm at the cafe too!), beautifully heartfelt.

11/23/2006 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I signed up... I think this is just great. Thanks for passing it along! ~M

11/26/2006 4:38 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

What a great letter! I'm going to pass the link on at my office!!

11/26/2006 10:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I thank you - as someone who KNOWS how much it means to those guys to know that they're remembered.

Know what they all love the most? Cookies. Anything baked. They can smell it when they open the box and the come running.

11/27/2006 4:13 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

I have to say that you've inspired me. I've signed up and I'm waiting for my soldier's name and address now! Thanks for the information!!

11/27/2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger mist1 said...

I was just searching for a soldier online. That is too weird. Maybe it's a sign.

11/27/2006 9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I forgot about the damn cookies! They'll love you for them. Brownies, cookies, some 'shelf stable' baked goods of almost any type would be and are deeply appreciated. And envied. Just remember that these things may lay out on a tarmac somewhere at better than 130deg. And of course that's no joke, for them or any food.
Cheers & Good Luck, 'VJ'

12/01/2006 5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm one of the Soldiers you've adopted. Actually I just responded to your email address and began bothering you. :o) Thank you for your support for of all of us Soldiers deployed to Iraq during the holidays. You truly are an Angel. People like yourself are few and far between. You make this world a better place, and worth fighting for.

12/25/2006 6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your site as I was looking for Eric Pettell and saw he made a post. (He and I became friends several years ago while he was stationed in Germany.) As a result I learned about Soldier's Angels and signed up. Could you please let Eric know that Tanya from Florida says hi and wishes him well? Thank you!

5/24/2007 2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?