Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Evacuate? Really?


There is nothing like being stirred from a semi-conscious slumber by the schreeching of smoke detectors and fire alarms.
At first I thought my pot smoking, downstairs neighbor had somehow set off his alarm while making a late night snack. But the sudden shouts from outside, let his skinny butt off the hook (he's on my naughty list for recent trumpet practice during my Idol time.)
Turns out there was a fire in the building next to ours so the courtesy officer was yelling for everyone to evacuate and gather in the courtyard. My first thought? Where the hell is my bra? Quickly followed by me pulling on a pair of pants and grumbling that an emergency WOULD have to happen when I look like absolute shit. Couldn't pick a day when I've just shaved my legs and am looking beautified...
But I digress.
Everything ended as well as it could, considering the circumstances. Most of the damage was headed off by the sprinkler system and we were given the green light to return home. Still have no idea what caused it though. But it did bring a question to light.
You have mere moments to decided what to take with you and run. Living things aside...what do you grab?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

my computer of course! lol

ok, I have a bone to pick with you ... Miss Spinster NO more...

You go from the engagement post which really says NOTHING to a fire story ... ARGH@!

Your fans need details my love, details!!!

3/12/2008 10:12 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I know. I know. :o) Details will come in time. It took a lot for me just to spill what I did. Pete and I had been talking about all this for quite some time, got paperwork in motion for a Visa last December. I'll give more details at some point. Promise.

3/13/2008 6:11 AM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

That's why tall apartment buildings scare me....what if some stupid person falls asleep while smoking or leaves a pan of oil on high.....

I would take photos and my masks from my travels....oh heck let's throw some clothes in there as well if I have a hand LOL.

3/13/2008 11:36 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I've been in a fire...and there was nothing I grabbed but some clothes to put on. My ex and I ran up and down the hallways, though, making sure all the elderly people were up and out.
There just isn't time, and the state of urgency obliterates everything but the thought of escape and safety.
That was my experience!

3/13/2008 3:44 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Wow...I'd grab some clothes (practical side of me) and my computer and photos.

3/13/2008 9:43 PM  
Blogger SaffronSaris said...

You posted your ring on 5 Mar, but I only came around like 10 days later. What a pleasant surprise!!
Happiness to you and Pete (blogger should sponsor ur wedding somewhat huh? Can't believe it blogger romances do materialise, much like in those older days where penpals blossom into romance).

Ms Spinster No More huh?
Yay!
:D

3/13/2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

Came here after Saffy gave me the good news. CONGRATTTS LINNY MWAHHHHHHHHH IM SO HAPPY FOR YA HUN! :):)

Keshi.

3/13/2008 10:20 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

High rise fires are scary, in my last place we had evacuations a lot. And then the next day or two after there would be a burned couch or chair in the dumpster out back.

3/14/2008 9:15 AM  
Blogger ptg said...

I too am waiting for more details on the engagement...I've been a lurker for quite some time (but a nice one, I swear!) and am so glad to hear things are gonig well.

As for your question - I would grab my daughter, my cats, and my cell phone. (Hey, someone's got to pick my arse up!) If I had time, then the framed wedding photo of Hubs and I and probably his laptop.

3/14/2008 9:43 AM  
Blogger Maja said...

Hm, puter is pretty heavy. birth certificates and passports. wallet and mobile phone...

3/20/2008 2:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?