Sunday, November 13, 2005

Jenny's Song

Let's go back 6 years. I was managing a cool, local restaurant where a lot of young people liked to come hang out. I had a boyfriend that I'd been dating for nearly a year that also worked there...and one Friday night I received a bouquet of flowers that I thought were from him. There was no special occassion...I just thought that for once he was doing something sweet and romantic which is normally not his strong suit. So I call him at home to thank him but he informs me that he has not sent any flowers. Ooops. What? At this point one of the servers discoverd the card which said "To Linny: 867-5309...Your Secret Admirer."

What the hell! I have a secret admirer?! My mind was racing, trying to figure out who it could be. I tried calling the number. Not in service...hmmmm I tried it with a different area code. Some old lady. Another employee who had been reading over my shoulder, said, "Linny...that's Jenny's Song." Like a moron I replied, "Who's Jenny?" He rolled his eyes and explained it was an 80's song (one which I knew of course, I just never knew the title.) So it was a song about admiring someone from afar. What the hell?

Another week went by with no news. Then, the next Friday one of my servers came in from outside and handed me a wrapped gift. The card had the same inscription....this time the gift was a really beautiful candle holder. Another week went by...my boyfriend was by now very PISSED. That next Friday one of our regulars came in. He was my age, cute and was always hanging around (and knew I had a boyfriend)...this time as I'm pouring his beer he tells me that this math problem has been running through his mind all day and says maybe I could help him with it. I smiled as the numbers fell from his lips...8675309. He returned my smile shyly then began to pour his heart out to me. Long story short, he said that he had really grown fond of me and since we'd met, he's had no interest in anyone else. He'd thought long and hard about it and he wanted to be with me. He went on to say how wonderful he thought I was and he wanted me to consider telling my boyfriend that I wanted to see other people. I of course was completely in shock. NEVER in my life...before then or even now...has anyone said such kind things to me or gone to such great lengths to impress me. It is a fond memory...I still have the cards he sent.

Because I had a boyfriend, I had to turn him down...very gently of course. But I will never forget, that once in my life....a man really and truly cared about me...and wasn't afraid to show it. If I could just go back in time....

31 Comments:

Blogger JM said...

Very cool story! Wow, he's got an imagination too-- I would have never thought of doing something like that.
I take it you are no longer with that same boyfriend?

11/13/2005 8:08 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

what a great chance to know someone beautiful that u missed out on Linny...but it's ok...life is always abt meeting ppl, letting go, moving on etc etc.

But it's rare that u meet a man who really and truly cares about u...and isn't afraid to show it...


I once got a single long-stem red rose on my bday..from overseas...didnt have a name...it said Secret Admirer...later on I found out it was a friend's brother who really liked me...we r friends...dunno if I can think of him in that sense tho...I always curse myself fot not falling for the real sweet guys...dunno what it is, I always am with a mean guy! :(


Keshi.

11/13/2005 8:09 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Still-no...I have no idea where he's at b/c it's been so long. I'm sure he's probably married by now.

Angel...thank you...and no. We were together off and on over a 6 year period. As of now, we haven't spoken in 4 or 5 months.

Keshi...I'm the same way. I never fall for the sweet, loving guy. I always seem to find the one guy with issues. :0(

11/13/2005 8:12 PM  
Blogger berly02 said...

Wow. That is like the best story of courtship ever. To bad you were with someone.

11/13/2005 8:34 PM  
Blogger Drywall Mom said...

Yes, you should definatly go back in time.

11/13/2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Best romance story ever!

And who could resist some cute guy using 80s music to melt your heart! (Lloyd Dobler anyone?)

11/13/2005 10:47 PM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

Yes i agree you should do some snooping around and find that boy :)

Yes to bad there were not more LLoyd Dobler's out there Firefly

11/13/2005 10:53 PM  
Blogger Crazy Me said...

That is a cool story. At least in not going out with him, you can always imagine that he is a wonderful guy instead of the reality that he probably leaves the toilet seat up and chews with his mouth open. LOL!

11/13/2005 10:54 PM  
Blogger Autumn Storm said...

Sounds like a really nice guy and perhaps many have someone like him in our past, i.e. someone whom we wish in hindsight, we had tried our luck with.

What you have is some very nice memories :-)
(hugs)

11/14/2005 12:21 AM  
Blogger Mad Munkey said...

That is a sure genius approach. Glad to hear it still makes you smile.

11/14/2005 1:08 AM  
Blogger DZER said...

nice story ... :)

11/14/2005 3:09 AM  
Blogger Px said...

i'm sure there are lots of men out there who care about you, lots of people out there who care about you...
but i know it's not the same as hen someone special cares about you

11/14/2005 5:07 AM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I've been doing things like that for a very nice, very special lady here for over a year that I had been dating but no longer am......

Alas, she knows how I truely feel about her, isn't dating anyone and still has turned me down...

:(

Nice guys always finish last.

11/14/2005 6:41 AM  
Blogger Courtney O. said...

You had a secret admirer!!! That's the movie love event that I spent my first 20 years of like in search of :)
Instead, I ended up with lots of let-downs and one semi-stalker that would leave plants outside of my dorm room!!! There are some freaks out there, let me tell you.

11/14/2005 8:29 AM  
Blogger Px said...

i'm with ranger tom one the nice guys finishing last thing :(

11/14/2005 8:40 AM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Nice guys don't always finish last. If I didn't have a boyfriend at the time...I would have gone out with him in a second. What was I supposed to do?

11/14/2005 8:46 AM  
Blogger Natalia said...

Awwww...that was really sweet of him...hindsight, eh? I have too at some point turn someone down because I was in a relationship only to be devastated by the boyfriend and wish I had bailed with the other guy. But..what can you do. I am a one man woman.

-N

11/14/2005 9:14 AM  
Blogger Hoochie Mama said...

That's a great story Linny! I think you should just enjoy the memory. You are right... you had a boyfriend at the time. What could you have done? If it was meant to be then something would have happened to put the two of you together.

11/14/2005 9:43 AM  
Blogger PAINKEY said...

Nice memory. Wish we did have a way to turn back time. what if, I hate those. What if I had.....but if it is really meant to be then nothing would have stopped you. At least thats how I would think of it to not go nuts ;)

Chin up girlie, you'll find someone fantastic who will sweep you off of your feet.....

11/14/2005 12:38 PM  
Blogger Alice said...

wow, a non-psycho secret admirer? that must be pretty rare :-) how sweet, though, i like that you kept the cards :-)

11/14/2005 1:04 PM  
Blogger Chuckles said...

Shiot, it's not having a boy or girlfriend is being married. People that stuff so seriously.

11/14/2005 1:32 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Chuckles...what are you trying to say?
No...I wasn't married to the guy but the simple fact is that I was in a serious relationship that "at the time" I was happy in. So i wasn't going to throw that away.

However, little did I know that my boyfriend would later turn out to be an ass.

11/14/2005 2:15 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

I love that song tee hee - I can hear it now.. How cool and romantic that a guy used it to meet you :-) You did the only thing you could do at the time. You know I have to tell you never give up hope. Magical things DO happen - I'm living proof.

11/14/2005 2:46 PM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Aw so cute. It's always nice to feel special.

11/14/2005 3:12 PM  
Blogger EssentialStephen said...

That is so cute...nothing like feeling loved even if nothing else than an admirer or a crush. Too bad you couldn't track him down again...

11/14/2005 4:31 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

poor linny...

11/14/2005 4:44 PM  
Blogger FU said...

stacy's mom.. has got it going on...


now that is a pick up song if i ever knew it..

ahahah..

i think i just coughed up a lung.. eeeech

11/14/2005 5:23 PM  
Blogger Keshi said...

lol join the club Linny :) I think I must go see a shrink..hehehe...

Keshi.

11/14/2005 10:09 PM  
Blogger SaffronSaris said...

That was soooo sweet, it's no wonder you treasure this memory

11/16/2005 7:25 AM  
Blogger Maja said...

Wow, total bummer. You missed out!

11/18/2005 1:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site
» » »

11/21/2006 3:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?