Sunday, February 01, 2009

Someday She'll Learn

I sometimes think that I am a glutton for punishment.

And right now, my sore backside is echoing that sentiment.

I had the brilliant idea to go ice skating. Me...a klutz. A girl with no coordination. A girl that runs into walls. A girl who, (completely sober) would still fail a field sobriety test of walking a straight line.

Yes, that girl (me) strapped on a pair of rental skates, threw caution to the wind and eased my way onto the ice.

It took about 2.2 seconds to realize that I had lost my mind.

There was no elegant gliding. No effortless manuvering or fancy footwork. No no...those things were replaced with cursing, stumbling, and more cursing. I resorted to clinging to the edge of the rink as if it were my life preserver, maintaining a death grip while cautiously scooting my way around the arena. Moments of panic came at points when other skaters were resting against the edge of the rink, directly ahead of me. Forcing me to let go of safety, say a quick prayer and try to glide past them to the other side.

Most of my efforts were successful. One was not. I was faintly aware of everything moving in slow motion. I felt my foot catch and my body lose balance. I remember thinking, "Oh Damn! No! No no no no no!!! Please no! Everyone's watching!" Then everything went white. Followed by the oddest sensation of feeling that while my butt was terribly cold...my face was burning with fire.

Without meeting anyone's eyes, I pulled myself up and brushed off the half pound of ice shavings that had taken hold of my clothes. Then I squared my shoulders, stuck my chin defiantly up in the air...daring anyone to snicker...and proceeded to continue stumbling my way around the ice rink.

All in all it was good fun, though it's not something I'm in a terrible hurry to try again. I think I'll just stick to rollerskating if it's all the same.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. You are brave and I bet far more graceful than you let on here! Come to Vancouver and I'll take you skating ! You will love it!

2/01/2009 10:50 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

Rollerskating? Does anyone do that anymore? Why don't you make sure to put on leg warmers and a headband when you go to. That is, if you can find 1980 somewhere.

2/02/2009 8:18 AM  
Blogger Thomas J Wolfenden said...

I did just about the same thing this summer...

Only waterskiing...

Not a pretty sight, and I'm really glad no one I knew had a camera that day!

2/02/2009 1:21 PM  
Blogger Professor Fate said...

At least you didn't land in a puddle. :)

How are THE PLANS progressing?

2/02/2009 2:11 PM  
Blogger blackcrag said...

You'll learn to skate or you'll learn not to try?

I'd rather you didn't learn not to try. I'd miss your stories.

If you want to practice skating, Ottawa currently clears eight kiometres of the Rideau Canal for the public to come fall on their butts on. Since it's a balmy -4 (that's 24 to you, I'm going this week. Come join me.

2/02/2009 7:47 PM  
Blogger yrautca said...

Kudos to you for trying. Its all about falling and getting up.....in ice skating and life.

2/02/2009 8:42 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Nerd girl...Oh no. Trust me, it was about as UNgraceful as you could get. :o) But thank you for the vot of confidence.

Phil...I can always count on you to be a smartass. Thank you. :p

Tom...at least it's fun to give it a shot right? You only live once.

Professor...there are no plans. It is a new year. Clean slate. Doubt I will ever post about last year. Will save my public thoughts for the present.

Blackcrag...fortunately for me, ice skating is only available here 2 months out of ever year. As I said...fun to try but I think there is something else out there more up my alley.

Yrautca...should be my motto for 2009. :o)

2/03/2009 1:13 AM  
Blogger Atomizz said...

Did the same a few months ago and decided to try Wakeboarding. Loving watersports as I do and spending time in and around the water I thought it would be a good idea to back up my jetskiing skills with something a little more sedate and less likely to break any bones....(How wrong could I have been).

OMG...they make it look so easy. I spent most of the first hour trying to fight against the boat rather than let it drag my sorry ass out of the water...LOL Yes, some very embarassing pics etc. battered and bruised and lungs filled with water I soldiered on.

Finally I managed to get stood up and made a lap of the lake. I had the biggest grin on my face ever.

I now own my own board and am hooked....it can only go one way form here as I am now learning all those oh so cool looking tricks, but of course, failing to land any of them in spectacular style.

Am so glad "You've been framed" is no longer on TV....

2/06/2009 2:58 PM  
Blogger tsduff said...

at least I know my limits after trying to skateboard... no ice skating for me.

2/06/2009 7:06 PM  
Blogger Miss Ash said...

It's funny how things we did as children almost kill us as adults. I used to skate for hours as a child, I went a few years back as an adult and lasted all of 20 mins, sore ankles, sore feet, sore ass!

2/17/2009 10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web statistics
Who links to me?